Connect with Influencers on the Other Social Networks
Any discussion of connecting with online influencers is sure to mention Facebook and Twitter prominently. You might also hear talk of Google+. But what about the many other social media networks? They provide important connection and relationship-building opportunities as well. Here are some ideas for connecting with influencers on some of the lesser-known or less-used, but still important, networks.
You can find, connect with, and develop mutually beneficial relationships with influencers on LinkedIn. However, as with other social media networks, there’s a right way to approach this:
- Start by creating a complete, compelling profile. Your LinkedIn profile should effectively communicate your personal brand and provide points that encourage others to take an interest in you. Double-check it to make sure it is free of grammar and spelling errors.
- With your solid profile to hand, dive in and demonstrate just how interesting/helpful you are; show why you will make a valuable connection. Some ways to do this include joining and actively participating in groups, reaching out to members with whom you genuinely have things in common, asking and answering questions, writing recommendations for others, and even helping others connect. In all of these things, remember to act as a real person rather than opting for canned introductions and responses.
- Ask a member with whom you already have a connection and a good rapport to introduce you to the influencer with whom he or she is connected.
Slideshare is a wonderful tool for telling your brand’s story, showing off your expertise, sharing information, and getting more exposure. However, you can also use it to start conversations and get involved in current conversations with influencers. Slideshare has a handy selection of social tools that make doing so easy, and you can also take advantage of the site’s community section to reach out.
You can do the following via Slideshare.net:
- Locate interesting content relevant to your brand and goals
- Reach out to the people who created that content
- Build your professional network
- Share on other networks, such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Create and upload presentations that help influencers understand your brand
- Invite viewers to comment and share your comments as well.
Though Quora is a lesser-known social media website, it is building a following that includes thought leaders, journalists, bloggers, content creators, and marketers. This is another good avenue for reaching out to online influencers, and it has the advantage of being less noisy than some of the larger, better-known networks. This means you may make more headway with a smaller splash.
You can use Quora to connect with online influencers by:
- Following online influencers in a manner similar to following on Twitter, learning which questions they are following, and answering their questions
- Providing meaty answers to the questions influencers ask; they may like your answers, comment on your answers, follow you, and open the doors for making a direct connection
- Commenting on online influencers’ answers; as always, keep your comments relevant and focus on imparting valuable information
- Building a network on Quora and sharing your content (by creating a board or linking to your content in the answers you provide)
- Creating a complete and compelling profile; use it to demonstrate your expertise and define your niche
- Following industry-related boards and getting involved in industry conversations
Have you used any of these networks to reach out to influencers? Please share your tips and experiences in the comments!
Image credit: Slideshare.net